Last Modified: 15-10-2021
This HackTheBox Acceptable Use Policy ("AUP") applies to the access and/or use of any product, service, or website provided by HackTheBox , whether we provide it directly or use another party to provide it to you (collectively “HTB Services”). This AUP is designed to ensure compliance with the laws and regulations that apply to the HTB Services. This AUP also protects the interests of all of our customers and users, as well as our goodwill and reputation. These terms are so important that we cannot provide the HTB Services unless you agree to them. By using the HTB Services, you are agreeing to these terms.
THIS IS A LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT. READ THESE TERMS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE HTB SERVICES.
If you are using any HTB Services, this AUP applies to you. Every Customer and User of our Services agrees to abide by this AUP and is responsible for any violations. Customers shall ensure that their Authorised Users comply with this AUP. You are not allowed to assist or engage others in a way that would violate this AUP. We will enforce and ensure compliance with this AUP by using methods we consider to be appropriate. We may also suspend or terminate your use of HTB Services pursuant to the applicable agreement for the use of the HTB Services for violations of this AUP.
We periodically update these terms and we will let you know when we do through a notification if you have subscribed, or by posting a revised copy on our website. You agree to review the AUP on a regular basis and always remain in compliance.
The HackTheBox Services may only be accessed and used for your internal purposes, according to the applicable agreement or terms and conditions, and always in compliance with the applicable laws and regulations.
NO ILLEGAL, HARMFUL, INFRINGING OR OFFENSIVE USE OR CONTENT.
You may not access and /or use, or encourage, promote, facilitate, authorize or instruct others to access and /or use, the HTB Services for any illegal (under applicable law), harmful, fraudulent, infringing, abusive, or offensive use, or to transmit, or retransmit, store, display, distribute, host, post, submit, upload, copy, share, publish or otherwise make available content that is illegal (under applicable law), harmful, threatening, fraudulent, infringing, obscene, libellous, defamatory, abusive, excessively profane or otherwise offensive or objectionable.
Prohibited Activities or Use
Prohibited Activities or Use include:
- Accessing and/or using the HTB Services if under 18 years of age without parental/guardian written consent.
- Accessing and/or using the HTB Services in a way that is, against any applicable law Including but not limited any Illegal activity such as child pornography; piracy; theft, fraud, drug-trafficking, illegal gambling, operation of a pyramid or Ponzi scheme, money laundering, arms- trafficking, the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, or terrorism; etc, and threatening, stalking, defaming, defrauding, degrading, victimizing, harassing, offending, discrimanting or intimidating anyone for any reason.
- Accessing and/or using the HTB Services from a Restricted Country, or if a resident of a Restricted Country, or if on any list of persons and entities subject to any export control restrictions or sanctions maintained by the UN, US, EU and UK.
- Violating privacy and personal data applicable laws by processing (ex. collecting, recording, organising, structuring, storing, modifying, consulting, using, publishing, combining, erasing, destroying, sharing and disclosing in any way) data that can be used to directly or indirectly identify an individual, (ex. account information, credit card info, addresses, emails or other contact information) without such individual’s knowing and continued consent to such processing.
- Violating copyright, trademark or other intellectual property laws including by removing any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on the HTB Services; or using any part of the content of the HTB Services for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence from HackTheBox or its licensors.
- Sharing or otherwise disclosing your password and other credentials you use to access your account with any third party or to assign, sell, resell, sublicense, rent, lease, time-share, distribute or otherwise transfer the rights granted to you under this Agreement to any third party except with the prior written approval of HackTheBox.
- Using the HTB Services and its resources for any other than the intended purpose such as “mining” bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies and similar activities.
- Attempting to, or probe, investigate, scan, compromise, test the normal functioning, operation, security or the vulnerability of, or gain unauthorized access in any way to the HTB Services or any computer systems, networks, databases or infrastructure associated with the HTB Services; or bypass, circumvent or breach any security or authentication measures or any other measures used to prevent or restrict access and/or use.
- Using any manual or automated software devices or other processes (including but not limited to spiders, robots, scrapers, crawlers, avatars, data mining tools or the like) to harvest or “scrape” or download data, information or communications from the HTB Services or any computer systems, networks, databases or infrastructure associated with the HTB Services.
- Deciphering, decompiling, disassembling, reverse engineering or otherwise attempting to derive any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of any part of the HTB Services, without authorization from HackTheBox.
- Monitoring the availability, performance, or functionality of the HTB Services, to build, provide, or assist in the creation of, a competitive product or service which is substantially similar to the HTB Services, or for any other benchmarking or competitive purposes.
- Creating, translating or otherwise preparing any derivative works based upon the HTB Services.
- Engaging in any activities that may interfere with the ability of others to access or use the HTB Services, their systems, or the Internet. ex. Flooding a system with communications requests so that it either cannot respond to legitimate traffic or responds so slowly that it becomes ineffective, or interfering with the proper functioning of any system, including by deliberate attempts to overload the system or in a way that results in excessive bandwidth usage, which may have a negative impact on other users.
- Τransmitting, uploading, or otherwise sharing files or messages containing computer viruses or propagating worms, Trojan horses, or "spyware" programs and other harmful or malicious files, scripts, agents or programs.
- Operating network services like open proxies, open mail relays, or open recursive domain name servers, forging TCP-IP packet headers, email headers, or any part of a message describing its origin or route or attempting to impersonate any of HackTheBox employees or representatives or any other person. Distributing, publishing, sending, or facilitating, encouraging, promoting or instructing others to send unsolicited mass e-mail or other messages, promotions, advertising, or solicitations (like “spam”), including commercial advertising and informational announcements.
You agree not to use the HTB Services to store, publish, copy, archive, process, display or transmit any content or links to content that:
- is illegal, solicits or is likely to encourage conduct that is illegal under applicable laws, including any criminal laws, or any third‐party rights or any contractual obligations.
- violates or improperly exposes trade secrets or other confidential information owned by others or infringes a third party’s intellectual property right;
- is defamatory or violates a person's privacy or any right of publicity;
- enables, advocates, or encourages criminal hacking or other illegal activities including but not limited theft, fraud, drug-trafficking, illegal gambling, piracy; operation of a pyramid or Ponzi scheme, money laundering, arms- trafficking, the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, or terrorism;
- contains, enables, advocates, advances, constitutes or encourages child pornography, bestiality, non-consensual sex acts, or is otherwise morally repugnant;
- contains, incites or encourages violence, threatens violence, or contains harassing content or hate speech;
- contains, or encourages or incites hatred or discrimination or adversely affect the equal opportunities, including but not limited to by way of sex, race, or age, colour, nationality, national origin, ethnicity;
- threatens the health or safety, or creates safety or health hazards in the lives of individuals;
- is otherwise obscene, libellous, fraudulent, defamatory, abusive, excessively profane, offensive or objectionable;
- may damage, interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, program, or data, including malicious code, such as viruses, worms, time bombs, Trojan horses and other harmful or malicious files, scripts, agents or programs
HackTheBox shall not be responsible for any user-created content posting, listing or message. The decision to view content or engage with others is yours. We advise you to use your judgment.
HackTheBox is not obligated to monitor such material, but reserves the right to do so, as well as remove any content that, in its sole discretion, determines to be in violation of this AUP.
HackTheBox Trademark Use
Unless you have our express prior written permission, you may not use any name, logo, tagline or other mark of ours or the HTB Services, or any identifier or tag generated by the HTB Services, including without limitation: (a) as a hypertext link to any website or other location (except as provided for or enabled expressly by us); or (b) to imply identification with us as an employee, contractor, agent or other similar representative capacity. You also agree not to remove or alter any of these items as we may have provided or enabled.
Reporting Suspected Violations
If you know or suspect a violation of this AUP, you will promptly notify us in writing of the known or suspected violation of this AUP. Violation of this AUP may be reported to [email protected].
Monitoring and Enforcement
HackTheBox reserves the right, but does not assume the obligation, to monitor for and to investigate any violations of this AUP or other misuse of the HTB Services.
Failure to comply with this AUP constitutes a material breach of the applicable agreement or terms and conditions upon which you are permitted to access and/or use the HTB Services, and at any time may result in HackTheBox taking any and all remedial actions in its sole discretion, up to and including:
- Suspending or terminating access or terminate your subscription to the HTB Services;
- Removing, disabling or prohibiting access to content that violates this AUP and/or your applicable agreement with HackTheBox; and/or
- Legal proceedings for reimbursement of all losses and costs, including, but not limited to, reasonable legal costs resulting from such violations
HackTheBox may report any activity that it suspects violates any law or regulation to, and cooperate with, appropriate law enforcement officials, regulators, or other appropriate third parties to help with the investigation and prosecution of illegal conduct. Our reporting may consist in providing network and systems information related to alleged violations or your use of the HTB Services and may include disclosing appropriate customer information that may identify you.
No service credit or compensation will be provided for any interruptions of the HTB Services resulting from violation of this AUP.
You agree to defend, indemnify, hold harmless HackTheBox from and against all liabilities and costs (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising from any and all claims by any person arising out of your use of the HTB Services in violation of this AUP, including without limitation, if applicable: (a) investigate or otherwise respond to any suspected violation of this AUP; (b) remedy any harm caused to HackTheBox or any of HackTheBox Customers and Users; (c) respond to complaints; and (d) have HackTheBox IP Addresses removed from any “blacklist”.
We may immediately suspend your access or terminate your subscription to the HTB Services for cause if you breach this AUP or don’t respond to us in a reasonable period after we’ve contacted you about a potential breach of this AUP.
We may update and change any part or all of this AUP. If we update or change this AUP, we will let you know by posting the revised copy on our website. When we change this AUP, the "Last Modified" date above will be updated to reflect the date of the most recent version. We encourage you to review this AUP periodically.