Great news for creators out there: we just revamped our challenge submission process!
Over the past 4 years, our players have contributed to Hack The Box by submitting top-notch content available for everyone. User-generated challenges such as Toxic, Fibopadcci, and vmcrack are just some of the most valuable pieces of content in the platform.
Why did we decide to review our submission process now? There are two main reasons.
First of all, we are looking for more awesome content! Top-quality, up-to-date, and curated challenges are what made HTB unique and innovative from its inception. Secondly, sticking to our “community first” way of doing things, we decided to introduce a new paid submission process for user-generated content. We aim to further improve the quality of our labs and reward our valuable community who wish to contribute. Content submitters will now receive a reward for their efforts, depending on lab difficulty, complexity, innovation, and learning objectives.
Yes, paid! We believe creators should be rewarded. Take a look at the compensation plans:
- Very Easy Challenge - up to $100 ($50 guaranteed, $50 quality bonus)
- Easy Challenge - up to $200 ($150 guaranteed, $50 quality bonus)
- Medium Challenge - up to $300 ($250 guaranteed, $50 quality bonus)
- Hard Challenge - up to $450 ($350 guaranteed, $100 quality bonus)
- Insane Challenge - up to $600 ($500 guaranteed, $100 quality bonus)
50% of the amount will be paid upon passing the internal evaluation, the remaining 50% will be provided two weeks after the release. Our quality bonus is triggered and provided along with the last payment, if the challenge has over 90% of positive ratings, with a minimum of 10 votes.
For an overall view of challenge requirements (documentation, best practices, and other details) take a look at our Knowledge Base
Can’t wait to submit your content? Challenges submitted by our community will be used in HTB for Free and VIP/VIP+ users and Dedicated Labs customers. For this reason, we have created new Terms and Conditions that will regulate the relationship between all submitters and Hack The Box, aiming to ensure compliance, security, and integrity in our operations. Take a careful read not to miss any important detail:
- Submit your challenge and accept our General TOS.
- Upon submitting, we will email you within 2 weeks from our initial review.
- Within 2 months we will either approve, reject, or ask for changes.
- If our Release Committee wants to continue with your lab, once your submission passes through the “Provisional Acceptance” process, you will be asked to sign an SOW with Hack The Box.
- Upon signing of the mutual SOW, 50% of the reward will be paid.
- Almost there! When your challenge is ready for release, our team will inform you. The time from acceptance to release might take 2-3 months.
- Your challenge is ready to get pwned! Two weeks after release the remaining 50% of the reward (plus any additional quality bonus) will be released to your account.
Make sure to check out our FAQ page for any further information needed, doubt, or question.
We are now ready for a new era of content delivery! User-generated content is what makes Hack The Box unique, and it is also a great way to learn. As our Training Lab Architect 0xdf said during our episode of HTB Stories, trying to create vulnerable hacking labs is a great way to explore new techniques and principles while having fun.
We cannot wait to see, review, and release your content available for everyone to train and learn cybersecurity. Submit your challenge, get recognized, get rewarded!